The Pilates Method is an approach in mind and body integration that was created by Joseph Pilates in the 1920’s. Pilates exercises target the deep muscles of the abdomen, pelvic floor muscles and the spine to strengthen the body from the inside out in proper alignment.
"It is the mind itself which shapes the body" Joseph H. Pilates
Who can benefit from Pilates:
- Anyone wanting to shape and define their body
- People with back pain, scoliosis, shoulder issues, fibromyalgia, etc.
- Women who are pre and post-natal
- People wanting to improve their Yoga practise
- The super fit e.g. athletes, dancers, martial artists etc.
- Sports enthusiasts e.g. golfers, rugby players, football players, swimmers etc.
Reasons to do Pilates:
- Pilates is a whole – Body Fitness
- adaptable to suit individual needs
- Builds core strength (deep abdominal muscles, pelvic floor and spinal muscles)
- Lowers the risk of injury
- Rehabilitates after injury
- Improves Posture
- Increases flexibility
- Increases energy
- Aids relaxation
- Promotes weight loss and long, lean appearance
- Increases awareness of mind/body connection
- Pilates can be done at home, in the office or even on a bus
"Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness." Joseph H. Pilates